Friday, June 8, 2007

Who Am I?

Just wanted to take a moment or two to introduce myself.

I am a 54 year old runner. I have been running for health since November of 2005. At that time I was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome. What does that mean? Fat and lazy. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, was pre-diabetic and wore size 42 pants with a XXXL shirt. Not a good thing.

My Doctor worked with me to change my diet and to run. I was prescribed an 1800 calorie diet (low card, low glycemic, low fat, low sodium). The real advantage? I learned to run!

Six months later I had low cholesterol (dramatically), lower blood pressure, was no longer pre-diabetic, lost 60+ pounds and was wearing size 34 pants and L shirts. I was convinced! Running is for me.

I met Susan through a podcast that we both listened to. Susan introduced me to two things - competitive running and blogging! I appreciate her friendship a great deal.

Blogging is a wonderful thing and I feel that I know all of you through your blogs. Thanks for sharing your experiences and challenges with me as I am an improved person through those blogs.

I ran my first 5K race last month and in 14 days I will run my first half-marathon.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Welcome and VERY cool Charles!!!

Maddy said...

So glad you've joined us here!

MarathonChris said...

Thanks for the introduction! What a great story. Glad you have joined us here. Looking forward toward your race report on your half marathon!!!

Susan said...

I'm thrilled to have my pal Charlie here!