Monday, February 4, 2008

Who'll come and run with me?

I know I know - I'm on the slow road to recovery from an injury, I'm running the London marathon in 10 weeks, I've got enough on my plate. But I wouldn't be I, and me wouldn't be me, without picking the next challenge on the horizon. So - drumroll - my dear friends, I have signed up for the Chicago marathon. HEAR ME OUT before you say it was a disaster last year. It was. Not ALL the organisers fault, it has to be said, but still.. But listen to me. I ran it in 2006 (when it was freezing cold, literally). It was fantastic. Flat, fast (and very cold, but I already said that) and amazing crowd support. Bands, pizza in the Italian section (so much tastier than a Gu), cheering, singing, wonderful views and neighbourhoods, great and inspirational pacers and a fantastic atmosphere overall. A great expo where I met and talked to Hal Higdon and John Bingham and bought loads of wonderful running gear that I use to this day. What can I say - I had such a fantastic time there. Regarding the debacle last year - I think they're going to be working very very hard to make this marathon a success. I really do.
So come on y'all - who wants to go for a run with me? I'm going to be staying with some friends in Chicago but will be expecting you to come out and play - who else will walk round the expo and be as interested in the running stuff, last minutes nerves and niggles etc. Who wants to come and carbo load with me on the Friday and Saturday night? And who wants to come and drink some beers and eat some fries (or deep dish pizza - your choice) with me on the Sunday night? And talk and get to know each other and natter into recorders to create podcasts and take photos for our blogs - come on! This could be SO much fun! So you know you want to - sign up here. And then post a message to let me know you'll be there. I just can't wait!

7 comments:

Maddy said...

I'm in! I registered this morning! I am so excited! I can't wait!

250 days to go!

Petraruns said...

Wow! It's happening! I can't tell you how excited I am!

MarathonChris said...

Now that is taking the bull by the horns. Let me see if this works for me...

Susan said...

OK - I definitely want to. But I am "shaky" as to the uncertain future. Injury, potential life changes, etc. I am hesitant to even commit to coming and cheering. I know - I suck. Oh how I want to come!

Just give me a little time...

Petraruns said...

You can have all the time you need sweetie. We all have busy overcommitted lives so fit it in if you can, put it on the back burner otherwise and see how things are in a few months time..

ShirleyPerly said...

With marathons already planned on 9/28 & 10/7, another one a week later is just too much for even for me, unfortunately. I'll be one of the many cheering from afar though!!

Petraruns said...

Shirley we will get our chance to run with you - or behind you - at some point I am sure! I am reassured that 3 in a month is too much even for you! ;). And of course, we'll be cheering you on!